The shoulder joint is flexible and optimally has great range of motion compared to other parts of the body. Shoulders are one of the most frequent parts of the body injured during sports activities. In addition, excessive and repetitive daily usage can easily wear the adjoining cartilage and bones which can cause pain. Acupuncture can decrease pain symptoms with regular treatments.
The following shoulder conditions can benefit with acupuncture:
- Sprains and Strains of the Shoulder
- Tendinitis, Tendinosis in the Shoulder
- Frozen Shoulder
How does acupuncture relieve shoulder pain?
Acupuncture for shoulder pain entails the treatment of ligaments, tendons, and muscles surrounding the joint. According to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), the human body consists of 12 main meridians consisting of internal and external pathways.
Insertion and stimulation of fine needles into acupuncture points along the meridians help release neurotransmitters called endorphins and decrease inflammation around the surrounding pain site. Acupuncture corrects the imbalance of the body by interacting with neuromuscular receptors and improving muscle memory and pain relief.
Recent studies also demonstrate:
- The release of the body’s natural chemical opioids that interact with the body to inhibit pain signals
- Vasodilation of blood vessels and increased oxygen flow on the injured area
- Accelerated healing mechanism of the injured tissue, allowing pain relief and faster recovery, including post surgically
During the initial visit, our doctor customizes a treatment plan for after palpating and evaluating the shoulder. Most times, patients see improvements after their first visit but may be advised to come for additional visits for total relief.